Saturday 2 February 2013

Healthy eating without losing weight

This week I have found it particularly difficult to eat my calories. It was worrying me quite a bit because I'm making sure that I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner & healthy snacks but not always getting to my 1800-1900 calories a day.

I am really keen to eat as healthily as possible at the moment (apart from the very rare cream egg .....but it would be rude not to). I'm eating lots of fruit, veg, salad, trying to eat enough carbs but not overdoing it, and getting a good source of protein & calcium too.

I looked into healthy snacks this week to help give me some inspiration. I discovered cottage cheese, bagels, and yoghurts. It's so easy to get stuck in a rut when you eat the same things every week. I don't do the food shopping in our house either so I rarely get a chance to look round the superstore for inspiration. But it was lovely to get some new ideas.

I have incorporated these new snacks into my day and generally have a morning & afternoon snack. Sometimes I even have to have something after dinner to make sure I've eaten enough.

Tonight I made a really lovely salmon, roasted vegetables & couscous (pic below). It worked out at under 600 cals and it was so delicious. I had cereal for breakfast and a sandwich, salad & crisps for lunch. After dinner I'd only had about 1350 calories. I then went on to have some cherries, strawberries, grapes & a glass of milk.

The problem I have is that I honestly feel that I'm eating enough but I don't want to just eat rubbish to up my calorie intake. Today is a pretty extreme example, but it's just on my mind.

I don't want people thinking that I'm having too few calories every day. 1 day this week I had just over 2000 calories. I know that I have to look at the balance throughout the week as well as individual days.

Ultimately whilst I'm pregnant I do not want to lose weight, but I want to continue to eat as healthily as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment