Thursday 20 June 2013

Getting into the groove

Yesterday made 7 whole days in a row where my blood sugars were good. I've had to adapt my diet quite a bit to achieve this. It is difficult at times, but really it's a small price to pay. 

Up until I saw my consultant a week ago the whole carbohydrate thing was confusing me a lot. Carbohydrates convert to sugar after you've eaten them. some carbs turn to sugar very quickly giving you a fast energy boost and spike of blood sugars. These 'bad' carbs are things like white bread, rice, pasta, couscous, crisps etc. however there are 'good' carbs which release their energy at a slower rate and convert to sugar slower. These include the wholemeal/wholewheat versions of the above foods. 

Initially I had tried to cut down on carbs, then the diabetic nurse said that carbs were still an important part of your diet as long as eating the wholegrain versions. As it happened my blood sugars were higher then, even after eating the good carbs. I then saw my new consultant on Monday and she asked what I was doing with my food. I explained a healthy eating approach and she said 'low-carb'. Since then I have decided that for my blood sugars to be low, low-carb is the way to go. I do make sure I eat good carbs at most meals as I personally don't believe you should ever eliminate any food group from your diet. By doing this I have been able to have consistently good blood sugar readings. 

I did post on my weight loss blog yesterday too. I've lost another 1lb. Well actually I lost 1.5lb but i only post in full pounds. I'm going to weigh-in again today but only because then I'm back in the Sunday routine. 

I've tried to vary my food as much as possible this week. I'm finding the cooked breakfast a little repetitive so any ideas for high protein / low carb breakfasts would be much appreciated. For lunches this week I've been having soups & salads. To help with my variety of dinners this week I've been doing more home cooking. We've had chilli con carne, coq au vin, baked salmon and Spanish chicken. I've just cooked separate good carbs for me to go with each dish. Snack-wise has mainly been fruit. The consultant said that some fruits are not recommended such as mango (my favourite fruit) and pineapple. They have very high sugars. But I've found that fruits such as strawberries, satsumas and blueberries have not affected my sugars. 

Right I'm off now to spend the day with my husband & son. Good luck to any of your who are losing weight. 

Thank you for reading x 

No comments:

Post a Comment