Saturday 15 June 2013

Small changes = Big difference

When I wrote my last post I had just started taking 1 metformin tablet with my breakfast. My blood readings after breakfast in the last 4 days since starting the medicine, have actually been higher after breakfast than they were before. So I called the diabetic nurse again to see if I should do anything. I think the higher readings may be just a coincidence that my insulin is not as effective as it was, or the tablets don't agree with me. I spoke to the diabetic nurse and she suggested I take 2 metformin tablets at breakfast. Yesterday was the first day of doing this and my bloods were better. 

I think the thing I'm still finding frustrating is that I'm eating a healthy breakfast that has been recommended, yet my sugars are still high. I just have to get my head round the fact that regardless of how well I eat, I cannot control the efficiency of my insulin. So today I have decided to have a cooked breakfast and see what result that brings. 


I weighed in this morning and I have lost 3lb in the last 2 weeks. I'm not worried about this at all. I know that I'm eating a healthy, balanced diet which is good for me & Squeak. I have put on a total of 2st 4lbs since I found out I was pregnant, which isn't bad at all. 

The good thing about being diagnosed with gestational diabetes is that I have HAD to go back to healthy eating. In my mind there really was no choice about returning to my healthy ways. I would do anything for my children and this is something I can do to help Squeak before she's born. Although I'm finding the diabetic diet lacking in variety, I am back in 'the zone'. This can only be a good thing as when she's born I feel as though I am ready to lose this excess weight and get back on track (but hopefully with a better variety of foods to eat). Even though I am back to my healthy ways, I have to say that I have got a chocolate bar packed in my hospital bag to eat after Squeak is born :)

On Thursday I had a growth scan to see how our little girl is doing. At the moment she is still measuring well. She weighs approx 4lb 12oz and I've got just over 7 weeks to go. So at the moment it looks like the diabetes isn't affecting her growth too much. I have another scan booked for 4weeks time, so I'm hoping she stays put until then.

Here's a little photo of her for anyone who's interested.

Thank you for reading and good luck to any of you who are on your own weight loss journey x


No comments:

Post a Comment