Monday 19 March 2012

What I do if I fall off the wagon...

At the end of January I write a post called Failed.

In this post I talked about how the night before I had eaten more than I should have and that I hadn't done as much exercise as I'd have liked. I was feeling very down and disappointed in myself for falling off the waggon so-to-speak. At that point I'd been living a healthier life for 3.5 weeks. In the past I would normally have jacked the whole thing in and gone on a massive food binge and basically eaten loads of crap. This would have undone all the hard work I'd put in to losing the 12lb I'd already lost.

The difference this time is that i am looking at this as a way of life forever. I know that I will always have to worry about my weight, even when I get to goal, because I know just how easy it can go back on. Losing weight is a battle. whether you've got 10 lb to lose or 10 stones. By having a positive attitude and looking at the long term I managed to carry on with this way of life back in January. Because I did that I managed to lose an extra 19 lbs to date.

I cannot explain how important I have found it to look at it in the long term. I think that generally this goes against what slimming clubs like weight watchers & slimming world advise. I remember both companies advising me to concentrate on the short term and the small goals. Don't get me wrong, you need to do that to a point. After all 2 stones feels a lot easier to lose than 7 stones. But if you go along your weight loss journey with your head down and only focusing on the short term, you forget that all those 0.5lb & 1lb losses will add up. Even on weeks where you put on weight take a look at the bigger picture. Think about how much weight you have lost since the start. Think about all the things you can do now that you couldn't when you started. Focus on the positives.

Life will inevitably throw all sorts of things at us that will throw us off course.
All that matters is that we get back on the right path rather than give into temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment