Monday 9 July 2012

My Holiday

glut·ton·ous

[gluht-n-uhs] 
adjective
1. tending to eat and drink excessively; voracious.
2. greedy; insatiable.
This pretty much sums up my holiday.

I went on holiday with my husband, son, and in-laws to Swanage for 8 days. We were hoping for a nice seaside holiday with lots of playing on the beach, walks and cycling (my husband and I took our bikes). However the British weather had other ideas.

The first day we got there my husband and I went out for a 30 min bike ride. Swanage was very hilly but I carried on. My bike has got rubbish gears so even in the lowest I find myself struggling. But I kept saying "If I don't faint, puke or die, just keep going." so I did. We also went out for a walk a couple of times in the evenings in the rain to get a bit more exercise. If we were just going into Swanage town we walked, only using the car for out-of-town trips. We ended up buying loads of waterproof stuff so that we could still go for walks and play in the sand.

We stayed in a self-catering apartment and managed to eat quite a bit at 'home'. But of course we were on holiday so we also ate out a few times. We went out for about 3 meals. But for meals I tried to remain as good as possible. One night we went to a fish & chip shop and I have grilled salmon instead of battered cod. But the chips were perfect and they were on my plate...so I ate all of them (and some of my son's).

The main problem was snacking. at home I rarely eat in between meals and if I do it's on low calorie things. But my husband and mother-in-law bought some chocolate fingers and once I'd had one, it was difficult to stop. Then like when I was on holiday in Centre Parcs i kept feeling 'hungry'. Internally the good me & bad me were having a real fight. In the end I decided to eat what I wanted on holiday but would return to eating better once we got home. My husband and I did have a binge on chocolate one day.

I do feel like I went a little bit crazy on holiday but have no intention of slipping back to my old ways. I've lost 4 stone and have come too far to undo all that hard work. So yesterday was my first day back to normal. I was really pleased because I didn't get that 'hungry' feeling. Weighed-in today and have put on 1 lb in the last 2 weeks. I was expecting about + 3  or 4 lb so I was actually quite pleased. This is the first time I've put on weight in 6 months so I'm not going to get down about it.

Life has it's ups & downs, it's all about how you react to it. I'm going to accept what I did and move forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment